Ever since the hoopla around the term ‘Dropbox’, you would have been wondering – What is Dropbox? . The simplest answer to that would be – Dropbox is a popular cloud storage service that lets you save your photos, documents, mp3s and other such file on the cloud, so as to access the so stored data from any device that is network enabled. Furthermore, Dropbox allows you to share the files in your Dropbox account with your friends with extreme ease.
Simple video by Grovo on – What is Dropbox?
Dropbox is a freemium service where one can enjoy a 2Gb storage space for the free version. As giveaway, Dropbox allots another 250 Mb of space for completing little tasks like tweeting about Dropbox and similar others. For further free space, you need to invite your friends to install Dropbox. This gives you 500Mb of free space (upto 18Gb) for every successful referred installation. There are two paid versions too; the Pro version and the Business version each with specific amount of space and other features.
How to use Dropbox?
- Create a Dropbox account and once done, Download Dropbox to your PC or Mac.
- Install Dropbox from the downloaded installation file.
- Upon installation, you will find a dedicated Dropbox folder in you hard disk.
- Simply drag and move the folders and file that you wish to store in the cloud to this Dropbox folder.
- The green tick mark against each file is a sign that you folders and files are synced with your other devices having Dropbox installed and with you account in the Dropbox website.
- Go to your Dropbox account or the Dropbox folder of another device, to find and access the saved files within.
- To install Dropbox on mobile devices like Blackberry, iPad, Kindle, etc., go here to download and install the relevant mobile app.
Best Ways to Use Dropbox
- Sync any folder in you hard disk with you Dropbox (not just the Dropbox folder) with the Dropbox Folder Sync Add on.
- Run Dropbox on your USB flash drive with Dropbox Portable AHK, to access Dropbox in public computers where you are not allowed to install any app.
- Save your email attachments to Dropbox using Send To Dropbox.
- Backup you WordPress website periodically to your Dropbox folder with BackWPup plugin.
- Upload files to your Facebook group with Dropbox. This allows people (group members and anyone with the link) to download the file from a Dropbox webpage irrespective of having a Dropbox account or not.